Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week 46 San Juan de Maguana: A bit of a maggot problem??!


Hey everybody,

Everything is going good here in San Juan and we are working really hard. We had a good p-day today. We stayed home this morning and cleaned as usual. It was a little different today though, because this last week I bought a giant trash can for the house. Normally, we just put our garbage in blue shopping bags and make a pile of it in the kitchen, but it always stinks really bad and we ended up with a bit of a maggot problem. So I was sick of the smell and went out and bought a huge trashcan for around twenty dollars. I bought it from this really cool, sketchy market. I also was tough with the guy and argued the price down like 300 pesos. Just some good third world experiences. Then we walked all the way home with a huge red trashcan on our back. It was quite and interesting sight. So we got the trashcan back to the house, but the other elders in the house forgot to buy the trash bags that were the right size for the can. Anyway, we ended up throwing all our trash into the trashcan without a bag. Today I ended cleaning out the trashcan because, once again, we got a maggot problem. It was really gross. Afterwards, we went and played some baseball, which was a lot of fun. We were worried about using a real ball, so we ended up playing with plastic bags rolled up with a sock wrapped with packing tape. It worked surprisingly well!  We got back to the house, ate, took a nap, and talked and now I’m here at Internet. It was a pretty good p-day

As for our investigators, we just got a new one named R. He is nine years old. I assumed that he was a member because his mom is super active, but we visited their house because the husband is less-active, and the mom told us she wanted us to teach her son so that he could get baptized!  He’s a super good kid, so I’m excited.  The other is an 18 year-old girl who is a reference from a recent convert. She is progressing really well with the exception that she likes to drink. But she promised to stop. (We think there might be a law of chastity problem because she is a model, but we will see.) Her name is J. We have take a member with us to go to her house because the last time when we talked to her, I was sitting in a chair talking to her mom and she came up and greeted me in the typical Dominican way, which is by kissing me on the cheek. Not a real kiss, but it’s sort of like a cheek bump and you make a kissing sound. Guys do not greet other guys like this, but girls greet most people that way. Then at the end of the lesson, I held out my hand for a handshake, but she gave me a hug instead. Sooooo, we are going to take a member over there to explain the rules.

This week we also started doing a Preach My Gospel class for the youth. I know that before my mission I didn’t have tons of interest, but now I’m super pumped for it every week. I love working with the mission prep youth group!

As for everything else, I am coming up on a year soon so I’m going to live this year to the max and leave nothing behind. Also next week is transfers so I’ll let you know what happens!

Love you all, 

Elder Stark




No comments:

Post a Comment