Sunday, October 5, 2014

Week 42 San Juan de Maguana: New Companion and a few crazy people


Hey everybody,

So everything is going well here is San Juan. Last week I got a new companion named Elder Qu from Peru.  He is a super cool guy. He is really short and very spiritual and social. So in other words he is a super fantastic missionary. He has 21 months in the mission so he has quite a bit of experience. I think I might be the one that sends him off to his house, but if that is the case, then that means I’ll be here for a long time because I would have to teach the new elder the area before I go, but we will see. This area is a lot different than my last area. In my last area we lived with four elders in a house, and here we have an 8-man house. There is another district living with us. It has its ups and downs, like cleaning goes a lot faster, but we always have to wash dishes. But yeah, I think I like to have more people in the house. It makes it more interesting, but at the same time it’s hard to find a quite place to think.
This area also has a lot more crazy people than my last area. In my last area there was just one lady who would sit in the street reading a bible and then yell at us as we passed by, saying that we came from the devil. But here in San Juan there are tons of crazy people. There is one lady that is like 45 years old and bald. She walks around the bus stop trying to take peoples luggage and flirt with guys. One time I was at the bus stop sitting outside the bathroom while my comp was in there, and she started harassing me a bit trying to take my backpack. The she went into the bathroom where my comp was and I heard him start yelling at her, telling her to leave and that he was going to call the police. It was all a very funny experience. She is a harmless crazy, but kind of annoying. There is another harmless crazy guy. He goes to this one park everyday and begs for money so that he can buy cigarettes. When he buys the cigarettes, he smokes them out of his nose and dances as he does it! It’s really funny to watch. But yeah, there are a few more crazies, but that’s alright. I just think it’s really funny.
This week has been a little different, just getting used to literally speaking Spanish the entire day! I can do it easily enough; I just feel like I don’t have as much to say in Spanish. It’s kind of weird, but when you speak two different languages you sort of have 2 different personalities. For example, while speaking Spanish, I’m a lot bolder and more direct with the things I say, but also a bit more quiet. Maybe that’s just the culture rubbing off on me though. Another interesting thing about the house I’m living in is that there are 2 greenies. One guy is from Mexico and one from America. They are both super cool.
As far as the work goes, this week we have be trying to help out the members a lot because this ward isn’t very strong. There are a few excommunicated members and a ton of less active. Many of the members don’t have very strong testimonies so we are working on that. My comp and I have lots of goals to get this area getting going and get the ward super strong, but it’s a bit of a battle. This week our main progressing investigator threw us a curve ball. She decided to take month long class that is on Sunday during church hours.  She wont be able to come to church for a while, but on the bright side she is really progressing and asking us questions and expressing doubts. It is always better when people express doubts about the church to us so that we can explain it, and then they can understand clearly. In my last area there was a less active member that struggled for years with doubts she had about the Book of Mormon. In the end, she fell away because of it. The most important lesson I think we teach as missionaries is how to receive an answer from God. That way they can gain a testimony for themselves. We don’t teach- we provide the information and the Spirit and the investigator’s personal prayers teach the lesson! Anyway, that’s my week more or less. I love you all and hope you all have a good week!

Elder Stark 

No comments:

Post a Comment