Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Week 44 San Juan de Maguana: Walking in the rain might be worth it


Hey family and friends,

So this has been a very wet week here in San Juan de la Maguana. We are in the middle of hurricane season and it rains hard almost everyday. As missionaries we walk in the rain a lot, but that’s alright because there is a saying here in the mission field that the more you walk in the rain, the more beautiful your wife will be. So yeah, for some missionaries that’s what keeps them walking through the hurricanes. Personally, I don’t mind the hurricanes except that even though it’s probably like 75 degrees when it rains, I get really cold! I have actually become a total wimp when it comes to the cold. I sleep with my sheets and my blanket and I still get cold! I’m fairly sure I will freeze when I get home to Idaho. Mom, dad, my first meal back home might be in the hospital. I’m just kidding.
But anyway, this week has been mildly successful. We have been doing lots of contacting. My area is very rich and all the houses are really big and hard to contact, but its kind of fun. A lot of these people are really interesting. Like one time we were in this super rich neighborhood and this guy runs out of his house and goes on a 20 minute monolog about how we shouldn’t be out at night in the neighborhood because it’s dangerous. The whole time I just kept thinking that this is the nicest neighborhood I have been in during my mission. We also recently started teaching an English class here in our chapel as an idea to find more people and we have had a little bit of success with that. This last week we only had one guy show up, but he was super cool and had an interesting background. He said that his university went to New York City for a trip and he and a few friends decided to stay for the six months that their passports allowed them to. And he said that he was working this super crappy job where they paid him 40 dollars a day for like 10 hours of work and he and his buddies lived like that for a while. It was an interesting story and this guy left the country a month after his visa expired and he doesn’t know if he is in trouble with the US government or not. Cool guy. His name is W. We also found this one guy who was super cool named B. We have only taught him one lesson, but he came to church this week! It was super sweet. I really hope he progresses because this ward needs a lot more priesthood.
So other stuff in my life is that I’ve started learning new ways to eat cheap and healthy. For example, normally, I always buy cereal and milk. But I found out that yogurt tastes a ton better, and is only a little more expensive. Plus, the healthy cereal is actually the best deal, so I eat cereal with yogurt a lot, and I’m going to start putting oatmeal in the cereal so that will fill me up more! Also I’ve been eating lots of popcorn because its super cheap. But yeah, that’s my life here in the DR. Take care everybody and I’ll see you next week!

Elder Stark 

No comments:

Post a Comment