Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Week 63: San Jaun de Maguana: A hike to the waterfall

Hey family,

        I hope things are going well and that you are all happy. Everything is great here in the Dominican Republic. 
        So last Monday I didn’t have much time to write because we went to the water falls again. Some new elders came to the area and they wanted to go so I said I would take them. I’ve now been three times. This time we decided to go all on foot, which is about a 3-hour hike. It’s pretty cool! We started out at 9am and got on a bus that took us to the trail entrance in a town called Las Charcas de Maria Noble. It was about an hours walk there and it was super funny because we were all walking and joking around and then one of the hermanas in my district told me that she needed to use the bathroom. She asked if there would be a spot on the way to use the bathroom. Anyway, she was a little shy, so I went up to a random house and yelled inside asking them if we could use their outhouse.  It was kind of funny because I had never even talked to those people before but they were super nice. We continued the walk until we got to Las Charcas. Then we had to keep going till we got to an even smaller town up in the mountains called Babor Arriba which was another hour long hike. The trail wasn’t too tough but some of the missionaries started getting tired. We kept going so we could take a break in Babor. While we were there, I challenged the newest sister missionary to a chugging contest of soda. It is almost an initiation right for new missionaries, but right before we started she took a sip and was like, “Oh, I like it.” It was this Dominican drink called Malta Morena. I hate it because it’s basically a barley flavored drink. She didn’t want to chug it because she just wanted to enjoy it, so I just gave mine away.  We kept going along to get to the waterfalls and it’s a super cool trail. I sent a bunch of pictures, but yeah, it was super fun just walking through the jungle. There was this weird Dominican guy that followed us up and he just kept talking to Elder P about how he would like to marry Sister L and making fun of Sister A because she is a bit of a princess. Weird guy... But we hung out for a while at the waterfalls sticking our feet in the water and taking pictures. We even went up the side of the big waterfall to get on top of it. It was a cool climb so we rested up there for a bit and ate a small lunch. I went with Elder S who is one of my friends in the mission and a newer missionary and we hiked a little further away from the group and found a small private area. I told him about how the prophets used to go to the mountains to pray because they could feel closer to God, so we took a small moment and each prayed. Very cool moment. I got the idea from Brother Ranstrom and the whole time hiking up I thought about high adventure. Then we headed back down because the zone leaders had a baptism that they had to get prepared.
 On the way back there was a really funny moment. I saw a guy selling bananas for really cheap so I bought bananas for everybody and I was handing them out. I offered one to Sister K (she’s from Kiribati and has a very different culture and cant speak Spanish or English fluently yet) and when I offered her the banana I thought she said she didn’t want one so I just gave it to her companion. Then a few minutes later she walked up to me and put her hand into my cargo shorts pocket and says where is my banana? I was super freaked out so I grabbed her hand and pulled it out of my pocket and was like  ¨K-- WHAT ARE YOU DOING? ¨ She tried to do it again but I stopped her. I was super confused, but then her companion ran up and gave her the other banana, but it was a super weird moment.
I also had some very spiritual experiences this week. We had a zone conference, which was in Azua so Wednesday morning we woke up super early and got on the guagua to get to Azua. The whole zone conference was super great. They talked about commitments and covenants and wow, it was super spiritual. I felt like it applied very well to our personal lives and so I’m going to try to work really hard and apply it to my life. I have also been reading a book called answers to gospel questions by Joseph Fielding Smith and I’m coming up on finishing it. It’s been a super great book! But yeah, I’m super excited for my next area. I mean I love San Juan, but I think its time for me to go. I have 7 months here and the transfers are on March 10th. Also March 12 we are going to have a big mission conference with Jeffrey R Holland :) :) :) :) I’m super excited to hear him speak!!!!!! And it’s just for our mission! Anyway, have a great week. Write me back.


Love,

Elder Stark









No comments:

Post a Comment