Monday, February 9, 2015

Week 60: San Jaun de Maguana: Random Crap

Hey Mom and Dad,

This p-day we went to Elias Piña, which is the city closest to Haiti. We got there and they told us that we were literally only 30 minutes walking from the border!!! I had to fight a big temptation not to go to Haiti, but no worries, I stayed in the right country. We went to Elias Piña because there is a huge Haitian market and we wandered around buying random crap. You will be getting some of the random crap I bought in a few weeks in a package. I was tempted to buy a machete, but I thought, hmmm, better not. I mostly just bought 50-cent ties and a 25-dollar pair of shoes! They are super cool leather wing tipped shoes, but they’re a cool wine color. Anyway, it was super cool because the guy I bought them from was a Haitian and I asked this one elder who is Haitian named Elder B to help me negotiate the price. So he walked up and started arguing with the guy in creole and the guy originally asked for 2500 pesos but Elder B got it down to 1000 pesos, which is about 25 dollars. Anyway super cool buy!

That’s super cool about Shan leaving. I hope he sends me an email soon and Sami as well. You will have to tell me if she has an Australian accent and you should also tell her to write me a letter. 

Anyway dad, as for your question about the weirdest thing I’ve eaten, well it wasn’t this week, but I did eat liver. Like chicken liver and heart and stuff like that. The texture was awful, but I got it down.

The weirdest guy I spoke to was this crazy old guy that looked like he was from Spain. He grabbed my arm as I was walking down the street and started telling me that my comp and I weren’t friends because I’m white and he’s brown (he really is Tongan), and that if we like the same girl then we can’t be friends, and that in the morning the Spirit is strong, but at night the flesh is a lot stronger. Anyway, the best part is he was smoking marijuana and blowing it in our face as he was talking. So I just started messing with him by contradicting everything he said.  I was telling him that my spirit is always stronger than the flesh and that friends are more important than girlfriends. After a while he was like, “Wow, well then your going to be the Pope!!!” After that we told him we had to go and left. It was pretty funny.

The best spiritual experience this week happened because I’ve been studying like crazy answers to gospel questions. I found a part where the prophet Joseph Fielding Smith answered a bunch of important questions that people had asked him and its really cool because I’ve learned a lot! Anyway, that’s a bit of my week. Hope you liked it. I love you guys so much and I’ll see you next week!

Love Elder Stark


No comments:

Post a Comment