Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Week 27 Santo Domingo: I'm staying another transfer


Dear Family,

Wow, so work here in Manoguyabo has exploded! Like, holy crap! We are swamped. Sunday was the call for transfers and guess what, I’m still here in my home of Manoguyabo. This will be my fifth transfer here. That means I’ll be here when I hit 8 months in the mission. It’s pretty crazy and I truly feel like this place is my home. Before the transfer call, I told a few members and investigators that I might go, and several of them prayed and P even fasted that I would stay. So hey, our prayers were answered. I get to stay home for another 2 months.

I bought monopoly last Monday, but I went all out and got one with an electronic bank. Anyway, we have been having a really great time with that.  We also had a super funny lesson where we were trying to get a less active girl named A to church. She’s 19 and the sassiest girl ever. We have a fun time messing with her. Last week she said she didn’t want to go to church because she might get hungry. So I told her I would bring her cookies if she came. Anyway, she didn’t show up to church, so during our lesson with her, we pulled out the cookies and started eating them in front of her! She was freaking out saying, “Ustedes son malos” (You are so bad) It was super funny and her mom was even joining in on it. 

There is the Chikunguya virus going around. Santo Domingo has been slammed. It’s a virus that has hit here pretty hard and a lot of missionaries have it. The Dominican elder in our house had it and hasn’t been able to work for several days. He was sleeping 15 a day. It seems pretty bad and I get the bad feeling that either Elder B or I will get it soon. It starts out with joint pain and a high fever. Then as you are healing, you get a bad rash.  Normally, it only lasts a week though. It comes from some word meaning bent out of shape because apparently, you are contorted in pain. They say most everyone will probably get it.

We also had a fun little service project picking cherries at an investigator’s house. So there was a cherry tree with two well-dressed Americans in it for a while this past week, but it was a lot of fun. I got super dirty though, and my investigator made me put on a white lab coat so that she could wash my shirt.

So for some reason the work here has exploded and we have over 30 investigators 20 less active members we are working with. There are seven families, two of which should be getting baptized this transfer! 

That was my week. Hope you guys enjoy.

I love you all, 

Elder Stark

No comments:

Post a Comment