Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Week 51 San Juan de Maguana: "One Year!!!"

Dear Family,

Hey Mom and Dad! I’m super grateful for your letters. It’s amazing to think that we are getting into Christmas. Dad, I’m glad that tithing settlement is going good. It is always a fun time as a bishop, I know. It really does feel crazy to be at the year mark on my mission. It has truly gone by super fast. Pretty soon you guys will be here with me in my world!!! 
There is a really funny story with my Thanksgiving experience. To be honest, I completely forgot it was Thanksgiving. I finally remembered when I got home Thursday night and the funniest part is I was actually fasting that day. So I didn’t eat anything on Thanksgiving, not even Jell-o and rolls. Hahah! Something just never change! Mom those pies you made looked amazing! I almost started drooling here in the Internet center. 
Well I don’t have much time so here’s a brief over view of my week. 
This Saturday I baptized R!!!! He’s an eight-year old boy whose mom served a mission in Nicaragua, but has since gone inactive. Her husband is also inactive. Teaching R was a lot of fun and they are probably one of my favorite families here in the mission. 
Then we had a super fun activity on Sunday where we went to the other branch in San Juan where the Hermanas are.  We contacted less active members and it was super fun because I got to go to a different area and go with a ward member. I was the only missionary, but we had a really spiritual lesson when we went to one house. It was a husband and wife, a little bit older, maybe in their fifties. Anyway, their daughter came out and I realized that the daughter very faithful member, so we got talking and I figured out that she is a returned missionary. So we just keep talking, including the parents in the conversation, and I pulled out my Book of Mormon. The daughter said in English that her parents don’t like it when the missionaries share using the scriptures, so I just kept talking and cracking jokes. I got everybody laughing and then the daughter asked me whether I was converted before the mission, or on the mission. The Spirit just grew and I was able to explain my conversion process and enduring to the end in a way I don’t think I could repeat. It was very spiritual experience and at the end we knelt and prayed.  It was a sweet experience! Then, the daughter wanted to come with us to find the other less active members. She told me that she wished that I could stay in that branch. It was super cool!!!! A very big compliment, but anyway that’s all I can write. I promise I’ll write more next week. 
I’m super stoked for this Christmas. Elder M left me this super cool binder that has a missionary Christmas story for everyday of December leading up to Christmas. So I started that today and it is very cool. I loved seeing the picture of our house at Christmas time. I’m glad that you got everything set up, but one question, “Why the pig ornament?” I’m excited to Skype and see how Jake’s Spanish is. He always says it’s near perfect, so we’ll see. It might be hard to talk with Jake in Spanish because I speak very Dominican Spanish. As for my plans for Christmas, I don’t have any thus far. No one in the branch has invited us over, but it’s guaranteed that I will be here in San Juan for Christmas. Do you realize this is my last Christmas in the mission? Next year I’ll be home with you guys!


I love you mom and dad! 


Elder Bailey Stark













No comments:

Post a Comment