Sunday, September 21, 2014

Week 40 San Juan de Maguana: Rain and Hail


Hey,

I’m sorry, but I don’t have much to write. This week was kind of a rough week, but that’s okay. We worked really hard because right now in this area we only have two people who are progressing, which is a little tough. But this week we decided that something need to change, so we started contacting a ton. Just knocking on people’s doors and asking them if they would like to visit.  Thus far we haven’t seen many results, but that’s alright. We will search high and low until we find the people who are looking for the church.
Wednesday was especially tough because we planned a day that looked super good. But just as we finished our first appointment, it started to pour. It really came down hard so we started to run and as soon as we stepped out, we were soaking wet. So we ran and ran, only to get to our next appointment, and guess what... they weren’t there. We were out in the middle of nowhere, soaking wet, and it was raining so hard, it felt like the world was ending. It was kind of awesome. As we walked back to our house to go change, because we were freezing, it started to let up. On the way, we saw these two kids walking through the middle of this flooded street barefoot carrying this plastic bag filled with their school stuff. We went to go help them and we carried this plastic bag. I swear it weighed like 50 pounds. These two little kids could barely carry it, but they were so cute carrying it together. We helped them get back to their house and then went home. I don’t think anything will come of it, but it felt good to serve, even when we felt miserable. We got home, took a shower, got ready again and left again, but this time with umbrellas! We didn’t even need them though because the rain had stopped. We had a few more appointments, but none of them were there. It was a bit of a rough day so we went to the store and bought a pack of bacon to cheer us up!  Bacon is good, but it’s expensive.
The next day it rained again!!! The weather really isn’t a fan of missionary work right now in San Juan, but that day it even hailed!!! I didn’t even know that was possible here in the DR, but it happened. I am an eye-witness!
Friday we had interviews with the President and that was super cool! I really miss President Rodriguez, but President Nuckels is also a very amazing president. They are just different. I had a really good time talking with him. We talked a lot about getting references.
  Then Saturday we went to a tailor because I’m getting my shirts altered so that they fit better. I’ve lost a bit of weight and my shirts are kind of baggy. I’m getting them fitted for a dollar each!  I’ve also had to pop holes in my belt.  I’m on the fifth one that I’ve made myself. It’s ridiculous!
 Oh this Sunday I also gave a talk in church and I felt like it went really well. There were a bunch of babies crying the whole time, but whatever. Anyway, yeah, that was my week. 

Hope you all had a great week and I’ll see you next week. 

Elder Bailey Stark 

No comments:

Post a Comment