Monday, February 10, 2014

Week 9 Santo Domingo: Just plain bat poop crazy!


Dear Family,

This week has been nuts, but also super awesome! Some really cool stuff has been happening in our area. Also, I have eaten so much spaghetti here, it’s unreal!!! So. Much. Spaghetti. It’s very different though. They throw everything in. The best spaghetti I’ve had yet had corn, pork chops and cheese in it. But it’s either spaghetti or rice for food. Usually I have pasta or ramen for dinner if we don’t get fed somewhere else. Also my new favorite food is a banana smoothie. It has bananas, sugar, milk, oatmeal and ice. It’s super healthy and yummy.
So last Monday we went into the main city area of Santo Domingo to buy fabric because my companion is getting a suit made for him. Then we had a family night for M, our recent convert, which was super good. And guess what we had for dinner. Spaghetti.
Tuesday we had a good time. We all got together for a practice lesson on the plan of salvation. Elder A and I were the investigators and Elder M and M were the missionaries. We had some good jokes during that, which was fun, but I also learned a lot. Then later that day we had a appointment with a super flirty less active girl which was kind of annoying because she just wanted to flirt. But the big news of the day concerned our two investigators. They were golden. Their names are P and Y. Anyway, we kept trying to call them all last week because they were ready for baptism; all they needed was to get married. But we found out that they broke up so we were kind of shocked. We tracked down P and asked him if he was still on board for baptism, and he said he was. We will have to wait and see on Y, but I think she still wants to be baptized too.
Wednesday, I went with Elder A to his area on intercambios, which was a good time. One time during the day I knocked on a door and said, “It’s the missionaries”, and I heard somebody yell a super vulgar word out at me. Then a little kid in diapers walked out!!!! So I got called probably one of the nastiest words in the Spanish language by a baby! Elder A and I cracked up! We taught a few more lessons and at the end of the day I high-fived Elder M because neither one of us killed our respective munchkin during intercambios!
Thursday was pretty fun. We did service in the morning for a lady named F, and right when we started walking home the rain came. It rains really hard here at least 3 times a week. Anyway, we got soaked! We came home, changed, and were about to cook lunch (spaghetti) when our gas ran out. So we sent our tank off to be refilled, and our neighbor cooked the spaghetti for us at her house, which was really nice.  While it was cooking, we just hung out at her house and I talked about music with some of the people there. One girl who was there downloaded a whole bunch of the songs that I named right there! She illegally downloaded them too. (Dominicans don’t pay for anything if they don’t have to). Then we taught some good lessons. I taught one to a less active lady we are working with named A, and I was able to speak really good Spanish! (I think it was because we started a fast after lunch, and one of the things I was fasting for was my Spanish). Then during planning, Elder M said I was the best trainee he could have asked for which meant a lot!
The next day we had a zone meeting, which was cool. I got a letter from my old primary class, which was awesome! (PS I love letters) Then, as a zone, we went to Picapollo, which is a fried chicken restaurant. Super good! After that, we had a lesson with a reference that our recent convert gave us named A. It went well. Then we taught a few other investigators, including P.
Saturday we had an English class in the morning, which was all right, but then I made lunch and made some super yummy homemade mac and cheese and fried chicken! Then we taught one of our leading investigators named J. We also talked with the mother of our neighbor who is a super nice lady. Her son is prepping for his mission to Mexico, so she loves the missionaries (her son sometimes goes out with us). Then we taught a good Restoration lesson to G (another investigator) over dinner, which was the best spaghetti I’ve had all week! It had ham and cheese and corn in it. And then she brought out chocolate chip cookies for dessert!!! My comp said those are the first chocolate chip cookies he’s had his whole mission! 
Then Sunday we had church, which was lots of fun! Later, we found a less active guy who was crazy... just plain bat poop crazy. He swears that Jesus appeared to him in his room and showed him visions of the future, which confused him because in the vision he saw 4 children, but he only knows of 3 kids that he has. So he kept talking about how he thinks he impregnated an American girl, and he says that he knows how to trick Satan into giving him what he wants. Sometimes he goes to the bar and orders rum, but says that God makes it into water, so it’s not bad. And that he has seen the world in spirit form! Just plain crazy, I’m not sure if we will be able to help him... We also taught Y, who is on board for baptism as well. So all in all, a super interesting day!
Today for p-day we played a game with the zone called betia, which is street baseball played with a broomstick and a water jug cap. It is super fun! I got pretty good at it. I love my zone! It’s just too much fun!

Love,

Elder Stark
Doing service.

Our washing machine





The pouring rain



No comments:

Post a Comment