Monday, February 3, 2014

Week 8 Santo Domingo


Hi family,

Tuesday we spent a few hours trying to find an address, but people in the DR give really bad directions and there are zero street signs. So it took us a while but we finally found the house. The guy wasn’t there, so we decided to go to the supermarket and buy a cake for Elder A. He is a Guatemalan elder that we live with and was his birthday. Then we got back to the house and decorated his room and put the cake out. It was pretty fun. We had streamers everywhere and stuff.

This Wednesday was pretty good, but it had an unexpected twist that night. We were teaching our top investigator, who was going to be baptized this Saturday, about the Ten Commandments. So I was talking about “thou shalt not kill” and she started talking really fast and all I could understand was that she took some pills. My comp looked at me with an “oh no! look” on his face and then he asked her a bunch of questions. He explained to me that about a year ago she thought that she was pregnant, though she wasn’t sure. But she took some pills and everything went back to normal. So she wasn’t sure if she had killed a baby. We decided to call President Rodriguez and let her talk to him. Then she handed the phone back to my comp and the president told us that she wanted to talk to him in person. So he said he would come to our area tomorrow. We kind of freaked out because we hadn’t heard of that happening before.

So Thursday came and we were taking out the trash for our neighbor. We accidently spilt her trash all over the sidewalk and the trash was mostly dirty diapers. Super fun cleaning that up. But she never found out, so that’s good!  Then we had M’s interview with the President. We were waiting at the chapel with M until the president showed up. They spoke while my companion and I talked about the different merits of superheroes. Then president and M came walking out and he told us to call him at 1:00 tomorrow for his answer on whether she could be baptized or not.  He needed time to think and to pray about it.

Friday, we called the president at 1:00. No answer. 2:00, no answer. 3:00 we got the president’s wife who explained that he was driving and would call us when he’s done. He finally calls us back at 8:00 and apologizes that it took so long, but said, “I wanted to be the one to tell you guys that I prayed about it and M can be baptized tomorrow!!” We went nuts we were so happy :)

So the next day was M’s baptism. I went with Elder M to the Stake Center to fill up the font and had to wade through it because it hadn’t been fully drained. And someone had thrown a bunch of paper in it. So I had to clean it and also pull a big centipede out of it, then fill it again. Then my comp and I went to the supermarket for lunch because it was a special occasion. We finished the day with the baptism!!! Super awesome!!!!

Sunday was wet. It rained a lot and I got soaked, but that’s okay. We went to teach one of our investigators whose neighbors are evangelical. The neighbor saw that she was talking to us and told her a bunch of junk about our church and stuff. Also we think that they have been stealing the pamphlets that we left for her. Super annoying but whatever. Then we had a family home evening at a girl’s house who I thought was 14. It turns out she is 24!!! But she’s like 4 foot 6 so it was an easy underestimate. My comp and I taught a good lesson after the food and it was a really good day!

And that was my week. Sorry I don't have pictures. My SD card has a virus, but I am going to get it fixed.

Love,
Elder Stark 

No comments:

Post a Comment